...EIGHTIES PINAS...

...EIGHTIES PINAS...
GIMIK Month for 80's Warpback
Bagets is to the 80's as GIMIK is to the 90's.. As ABS-CBN granted the wish of many, let us relive the 90's thru one of the best barkadas during that era--Gimik!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Champions

link: click VIDEO for the MOVIE PLAYLIST
thanks to MightyDucksFan101 for the movie upload

Early nineties was when I first watched the movie Champions (I). Actually, a lot of people mistaken the title Mighty Ducks for the first sequel of this movie while in fact it is Champions I. I didn't see this in a cinema but you know the eighties Betamax is a child's bestfriend. No cable tv, no psp's, no internet. If you want to have fun either you go out and play with friends, go play your atari, family computer or game n' watch, or watch a betamax tape. My dad isn't a fan of going to the malls or watching movies in cinema houses. After all, as a family we had a very unpleasant experience in a cinema while watching a movie so we understood why our dad prefered to have us spend the weekends at home. To compensate for this, he never failed to bring home at least 3 betamax tapes (and most of the time more) for us to watch. My mom will cook merienda while we're watching and when finished she will serve it to us.

Allow me to boast that I saw this film way before it became famous here in the Philippines. I remember, the day after after I saw this I asked my classmates if they knew the movie about a group of peewee hockey players who at first were a bunch of losers but in the end managed to be champions. No one knew about it yet. I even proclaimed that I have a crush on one of the players named Adam Banks.

The day he went home with this, he told me that the video shop owner (since he was a very loyal suki) recommended this movie and even said that "your kids will absolutely love this!".

And we did! I really loved this film when I was a child. Since I love sports and was hoping to play for my school someday, I adored this movie like crazy. I even memorized their names and jersey numbers. I watched this movie over and over again for a month. Luckily, my dad didn't mind that he needed to pay for penalties for returning the tape late.
The first part of the movie tells the story of main character of the story, Gordon Bombay (Emilio Estevez, son of famous hollywood actor Martin Sheen and brother of Charlie Sheen). He used to play for the Hawks, the best recordholder of championships in the little league. The team was undefeated until Gordon missed a shot and cost the Hawks their first and only loss. Deeply hurt and affected by that event, Gordon turned away from hockey, a sport he always loved since he was a kid. He then became a district attorney but then his fate cannot be changed. Facing DUI charges, he was asked to do community service
and that is to coach a peewee team of hockey players.

Who caught my eye??? Of course, the cake eater!!! Adam Banks is the name and love is the game. Haha. I had a major crush on him. MAJOR CRUSH. He looked so fine playing hockey and playing a bad ass, spoiled, rich kid. He's so cute! And now, he looks even more fine. He now has a band and he plays the bass, i guess. I was so thrilled when Gordon Bombay found out that Banks (Vincent Larusso) should be playing for the peewee's and not for the hawks. Why??? Of course, that meant A LOT OF CAMERA EXPOSURES. At first, I thought he was just an extra. Good thing he wasn't!

But when girls my age saw this movie, they can't get enough of the cute face of Charlie's (Joshua Jackson). Conway, being the captain of the peewees sure is a fine leader! His face is really endearing, I agree. Who knows he will be the cute clown of Capeside? He made my jaw drop when I saw him with Paul Walker in The Skulls. Charlie has come a long way from the Champions.

I remember, girls in our school used to do a poll vote of who's more cuter, Charlie or Adam. I voted like a maniac!!! Ready to bite anyone who would say anything bad about him. But now, I'm cooler. They are both cute and charming little hotties. Who wouldn't fall for them???
After Champions I came Mighty Ducks (D2) and then Mighty Ducks 3 (D3). New characters were added while some characters weren't there anymore. I liked Julie "The Cat" Gaffney. She played really good as the goalkeeper. She's cute, too. Keenan Thompson appeared in D2 and was known for his "knuckle puck time". This trilogy really made an impact to us especially in our neighborhood. Back in the 80's roller skates were the it thing, but during the 90's it was roller blades. My brother and I even asked our Aunt who was in the States to send us roller blades and she did. The kids in our neighborhood played street hockey. We used a puck and we made the hockey sticks buy taping (masking tape) together. We played on the street perpendicular to ours because it always got it's asphalt replaced every once in awhile. My brothers and his friends spent hours and hours to master tricks like flips and turns (triple-d). I remember, he got a lot of wounds while practicing.
Enjoy watching this movie again and maybe you'll be reminded of some memorable days in your past!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that's what I was searching for, what a information! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this site.

Stop by my weblog; spiritual-public-foundation.org

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.